This simple transformation from hand puppet to holiday keepsake only takes a few steps!
- To create an art project that will also encourage dramatic play
- To develop fine motor skills
- To encourage creativity
Before You Start:
You will need hand puppets for each child to decorate. If you don’t have a puppet stand, have the children bring in filled water bottles to use as a holding station for decorating the angel as well as to be used as a drying rack. Be sure to label each hand puppet with a permanent marker on the inside of the opening. Stuff paper towels, old material scraps, or stuffing in the head of the puppet for a fuller head. You will also need materials for decorating: gold and silver doilies, sparkly pipe cleaners, ribbon, glitter and/or metallic paint, crinkle paper for hair, rhinestones, gems and paintbrushes.
Let’s Get Started!
First, have the children paint the puppets with gold or silver glitter paint or metallic paint. There’s no right way to do it, encourage the kids to use their imaginations!
Then have children glue on rick rack or any wide band ribbon with craft glue along the bottom of the puppet for embellishment.
When ribbon dries, have children use permanent markers or paint tubes or any tool to draw a face on top.
Have the children glue heart-shaped gold or silver doilies for wings. Another option for the wings is to trace the students’ hands onto metallic paper, cut them out and glue those onto the back of the puppet.
Help each child poke a gold or silver pipe cleaner through the top of the head and form a halo.
Use crinkle paper or streamers for the hair, and you can choose to decorate the angel with an assortment of fun and colorful craft items, like stars, jewels, etc. Be creative!
You might want to use your angel tree toppers and a set of nativity puppets for holiday activities and performances. After the holidays, children can use the hand puppets for dramatic play activities, or other open-ended curriculum activities.
Products You May Need:
- Canvas Person Puppets – Set of 12
- Colorations® Washable Glitter Paint, 16 oz.
- Colorations® Metallic Activity Paint, 16 oz.
- Large Heart Doilies, 6″ – Pack of 100
- Rick Rack Ribbon – 150 Feet
- Sparkling Flower Jewels – 300 Pieces
- Embossed Foil Paper – 30 Sheets
- Sparkle Stems Pipe Cleaners – Pack of 100
- Aleene’s® Original Tacky Glue® – 4oz.
- Colorations® Color Permanent Markers – Set of 12
- BioColor® Paint, 16 oz. – Gold & Silver
- Puppet Stand