Explore the fall season and gather materials to create a personal Leaf Man.
- Work cooperatively when hunting for materials to build a Leaf Man
- Learn about the different types of things that can be found outside during the fall season
Before You Start:
Gather materials needed: Large sheets of heavyweight paper (at least 9″ x 12″), glue, and an assortment of leaves from outside with which to create a Leaf Man. Lead a nature walk outside to gather leaves. Provide the children with a small bag to use to collect leaves.
Let’s Get Started!
Spread the collected leaves on a work surface.
Arrange the leaves on top of a sheet of paper in the shape a Leaf Man. When you are happy with how your Leaf Man looks, carefully glue the leaves to the paper.
As the children work, discuss the different types of leaves and the trees they come from.
Optional: Enhance your Leaf Man creation with paint or other embellishments.
Read and discuss the book The Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert. For future projects, use collected leaves to create an array of different creatures.
Products You May Need:
- Colorations® Best Value Plastic Handle Paint Brushes – Set of 30
- 12″ x 18″ Colorations® Heavyweight Construction Paper
- 9″ x 12″ Colorations® Heavyweight Construction Paper
- BioColor® Paint, 16 oz.
- Liquid Watercolor™ Lovely Paper Leaves – Set of 72
- Best Value Glue Pens – Set of 6
- Colorful Foam Leaf Shapes – 500 Pieces